Pity those poor groceries sitting and baking in your trunk. Pity you and your family if you eat food that has spoiled because bacteria have multiplied like rabbits while heating up in your car.
Perishable food can stay safely unrefrigerated only for two hours if the air temperature is under 90 degrees – and only for one hour if the temperature is 90 degrees or higher.
Take pity on your food – and protect yourself and your family:
- Stop at the cleaners and for coffee before grocery shopping not afterwards when your groceries are in the car.
- Take your perishable items straight home in the heat.
- To be on the safe side, think about keeping a cooler and cold packs in your car for perishable items – just make sure the cooler isn’t a portable oven because it’s been sitting in the car.
- Buy a bag of ice if you need to for keeping cold stuff cold and frozen stuff frozen on the way home.
- Keep in mind that in the winter your car may be colder than your refrigerator – no problem stopping for coffee then!