According to Visual Economics:
- The average American is 36.6 years old and eats 1,996.3 lbs. of food per year.
- The average man is 5 feet 9 inches and weighs 190 lbs.
- The average woman is 5 feet 4 inches and weighs 164 lbs.
Each year Americans eat:
- 85.5 lbs. of fats and oils
- 110 lbs. of red meat, including 62.4 lbs. of beef and 46.5 lbs. of pork
- 73.6 lbs. of poultry, including 60.4 lbs. of chicken
- 16.1 lbs. of fish and shellfish and 32.7 lbs. of eggs
- 31.4 lbs. of cheese each year
- 600.5 lbs. of non-cheese dairy products
- 181 lbs. of beverage milks
- 192.3 lbs. of flour and cereal products, including 134.1 lbs. of wheat flour
- 141.6 lbs. of caloric sweeteners, including 42 lbs. of corn syrup
- 56 lbs. of corn each year and eat 415.4 lbs. of vegetables
- 24 lbs. of coffee, cocoa and nuts
- 273.2 lbs. of fruit
These foods include:
- 29 lbs. of French fries
- 23 lbs. of pizza
- 24 lbs. of ice cream
- 53 gallons of soda, averaging about one gallon each week
- 24 lbs. of artificial sweeteners
- 2.736 lbs. of sodium, which is 47 percent more than recommended
- 0.2 lbs. of caffeine each year, about 90,700 mg
In total, Americans eat an average of 2,700 calories each day.
Graphic and statistics courtesy of Visual Economics