Eating well and being “calorically observant” can be a challenge when you’re staring at heaps of tempting food loaded onto buffet tables, kitchen counters, and dining room sideboards. Whether it’s a fancy catered affair or pizza, wings, and cold cuts laid out on the kitchen table, why give yourself extra opportunities to shovel chips […]
Sometimes you just need a break from holiday madness. Sometimes a lot of present wrapping or cookie baking gets done with the TV on and some nice downloads from movies on demand or Netflix . There are lots of holiday movies for adults and kids alike. There are new ones added every year but these […]
1. Leave some space for the holiday specials, but, in general, aim to practice portion control with the higher calorie foods and pile your plate high with the lower calorie vegetables. When you take in more calories than your body needs and uses, you’ll gain weight. 2. Your body can handle a certain amount of […]
Is holiday food everywhere? Are you tempted to eat everything? Here are a couple of helpful hints: Say “no thank you” to the rolls, the mashed potatoes, and the ice cream. You can have them any time of the year. Spend your extra calories on something special that’s specific to the holidays. Also […]
Just in time for the crunch of the holiday season – My new book — 30 Ways to Eat Your Holiday Favorites and Still Get Into Your Jeans — is available as a free download for your kindle or kindle reader this Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (12/7 – 12/9). The book is filled with useful […]
Are you feeling some holiday pressure? Are you, along with lots of family and friends, jumping into entertaining and cooking mode? Is food a good antidote to all of that stress (at least in the moment)? What about the pressure – subtle and sometimes not so subtle – to eat everything that’s set out on […]
Does your holiday season mean, among other things, baking lots of cookies: spritz, rolled, ginger bread men, meringues, powdered sugar cookies; savory and sweet breads; and whatever dessert sounds good (maybe even fruit cake – although not in my family). If you added up the number of butter and sugar calories in all of these […]
Did you roast an 18 pound turkey? Maybe you roasted two smaller ones so you could have four drumsticks. Inevitably, most of us will have a whole lot of leftover turkey. What do you do with all of that leftover bird? Is it alright to eat it after it’s been sitting out from the time […]
What was on the menu for the 50 English colonists and 90 Wampanoag American Indian men at the first Thanksgiving dinner on record (the first official Thanksgiving didn’t happen until two centuries later)? Since it was harvest time in October 1621 in the Plimoth (Plymouth) Colony, in what is now Massachusetts, for the celebration: the […]
What’s your favorite holiday food? How much of it do you eat? A lot of us actually plan to overeat during the holidays – although we may not admit it: think about it — do you know that you’re going to overeat? Do you think it wouldn’t be normal or celebratory if you didn’t overindulge […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- 10 Tips For Eating Well In A Restaurant March 7, 2014
- Leftovers: How Long Before You Have To Toss Them? March 3, 2014
- Here’s The Original Girl Scout Cookie Recipe (circa 1922) February 27, 2014
- Some Really Sensible and Easy To Follow Dietary Guidelines February 24, 2014
- Love Pie? Did You Know There’s A Huge Variation In Calories? February 16, 2014
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: I wish I could say the same for my cookies -- I en...
- Carolyn Adams: I enjoy your articles very much. Ironically I als...
- Valentine’s Day Tips! - New Homes Colorado Springs: […] to EatOutEatWell.com, there are about 1....
- 30 Easy And Doable Eat Out Resolutions To Try -- Pick One! - Eat Out, Eat Well: […] more ideas. Subscribe to EatOutEatWell...
- Taking A Break? Renting A Holiday Movie? Can You Name Some Famous Ones? - Eat Out, Eat Well: […] For more holiday trivia, eating tips, an...