Eating when you’re not hungry, or when you’re bored, angry, tired, procrastinating, or celebrating can push your calorie intake way up. The biggest problem is that we often don’t realize that we’re shoving food into our mouths – either because we’re distracted, we don’t want to know, or we just plain old don’t care. What […]
Cotton candy or funnel cake? Corn dog or fried clams? The food of summer. What do you usually eat beachside or after the roller coaster? Oh, the choices! Oh the calories! How can you possibly not chow down on thousands of calories when there are food vendors about every 20 feet hawking dogs, ice cream, […]
“Let’s order pizza.” Have you heard those words recently? Have you had “a slice” recently? Take comfort that you fit the stats: American men, women, and children eat, on average 46 slices of pizza a year. 94% of Americans eat pizza regularly In the US, 61% prefer regular thin crust, 14% prefer deep-dish, and 11% […]
Sooner or later you will likely have your next sharing moment with a vending machine: You share your money and the machine shares its calories. Vending machines actually have a holy history. Around 215 BC the mathematician Hero invented a type of vending device that accepted bronze coins to dispense holy water. Vending eventually became […]
Is frozen yogurt actually healthy or are you being bamboozled by the name? What’s In It? Milk and milk by-products are the main ingredients in frozen yogurt. Frozen yogurt companies have their own recipes, but most common frozen yogurts contain yogurt cultures, sweetener, corn syrup, milk solids, gelatin, flavoring, and coloring. Sugar makes up 15-17% […]
Is There Less Alcohol And Fewer Calories In a Serving Of Wine Than There Is In Beer Or A Standard Drink?
That’s not a trick question. A standard alcoholic drink (in the US) is a drink that contains the equivalent of 14.0 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol, or the amount usually found in: 12 ounces of beer 8 ounces of malt liquor 5 ounces of wine (not dessert wine or port) 1.5 ounces or a […]
“Sing a Song of Sixpence . . . four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie” really does refer to a pie. “When the pie was opened, the birds began to sing. Wasn’t that a dainty dish to set before the King.” In medieval times, “animated” pies were popular banquet entertainment. Birds, frogs, turtles, small […]
How do you like your coffee? Black, light and sweet, regular? Do you stand in front of the sugar and milk adding and pouring until the color and taste are just right? Coffee Calories Are Sneaky There are about two calories in eight ounces of unsweetened black brewed coffee – doesn’t matter if it’s hot […]
It looks so good! Your tomatoes and mozzarella arrive with drizzled decorative squiggles of colorful basil oil on top. But are those squiggles only decorative? Flavorful, Caloric, and Decorative The squiggles are attractive and probably provide some deliciousness, but they’re also adding what might amount to a fair amount of calories. It’s so easy to […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...