Holiday cookies, latkes, pumpkin pie, cornbread stuffing, eggnog, and a relative’s specialty of the season … food, food, food! ‘Tis the season to eat and there are “food landmines” everywhere you turn. We all have to eat but it can be a very slippery slope to eat well surrounded by food; family; friends; an encyclopedia […]
Have you had a Big Mac in different parts of the country or even in different parts of the world? It tastes pretty much the same – which, in some ways, is rather comforting when you might be far from home. Fast food is cheap, quick, reproducible in any outlet, often tasty, and consistent. To […]
Have some chili planned for dinner? You know it’ll be a crowd pleaser – until you taste it. All you can think of is that a stray chili pepper that made it’s way into your recipe was at it’s peak of hot, hot, hot – or the lid popped off the jar of chili pepper […]
I was in a restaurant that specializes in chili – hot, hotter, and hottest. Four large thirtyish guys were sitting at the table next to mine. One guy ordered, “hottest,” with the kind of look on his face that says “I can handle it, no problem.” Shortly after this big, burly guy dug into his […]
Here’s another way to think about Halloween candy — how much walking will it take to work off the candy calories? According to walking.com: 1 Fun Size candy bar (Snickers, Milky Way, Butterfingers, etc. is about 80 calories. You’d need to walk 0.8 miles, 1.29 kilometers, or 1600 steps, assuming you cover one mile in […]
Come on, ‘fess up. What do you do? Do you just randomly grab candy out of trick or treat bags – or are you more selective? If your kids go trick or treating, when they get home do you dump everything in the bag on the table and go through it to hunt down your […]
Here are the calories in some popular Halloween candy in case you want to minimize the caloric damage (you didn’t read that wrong — candy has a big range of calories and fat grams): Brach’s Milk Maid Caramels: 4 pieces; 160 calories; 4.5 g fat Kit Kat: Twix Miniatures (3 pieces); 150 calories; […]
One day your pumpkin is bright orange with a nice sturdy skin – looking just glorious. The next day it has collapsed in on itself and is just a slimy orange mess. What happened? Many commercially available “Halloween” pumpkins are specifically grown to be oversized, thin-walled, with a huge seed pocket and a relatively small […]
Have you ever wondered where the Jack-o’-lantern comes from? According to an Irish legend that goes back hundreds of years, a miserable old drunk named Stingy Jack — who liked to play tricks on his family, friends, and even the Devil — tricked the Devil into climbing up an apple tree. Stingy Jack put crosses […]
1. Candy corn was created in the 1880s by the Wunderlee Candy Company. It was popular among farmers who loved the corn kernel shaped candy that looked different from a lot of other candy. The Goelitz Candy Company, famous for their candy corn, began selling their brand around 1900. They still make candy corn today, […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- 10 Tips For Eating Well In A Restaurant March 7, 2014
- Leftovers: How Long Before You Have To Toss Them? March 3, 2014
- Here’s The Original Girl Scout Cookie Recipe (circa 1922) February 27, 2014
- Some Really Sensible and Easy To Follow Dietary Guidelines February 24, 2014
- Love Pie? Did You Know There’s A Huge Variation In Calories? February 16, 2014
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: I wish I could say the same for my cookies -- I en...
- Carolyn Adams: I enjoy your articles very much. Ironically I als...
- Valentine’s Day Tips! - New Homes Colorado Springs: […] to EatOutEatWell.com, there are about 1....
- 30 Easy And Doable Eat Out Resolutions To Try -- Pick One! - Eat Out, Eat Well: […] more ideas. Subscribe to EatOutEatWell...
- Taking A Break? Renting A Holiday Movie? Can You Name Some Famous Ones? - Eat Out, Eat Well: […] For more holiday trivia, eating tips, an...