Do you know how many ounces of wine you pour into your wine glass? Bet you don’t! A standard serving of wine is 5 ounces (around 125 calories) and probably looks smaller than you think. Wine glasses generally have a much larger capacity — good for savoring the wine, but not good for pouring portion […]
What are the main colors used in McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, and most fast food restaurants – diners, included? Answer: Red and gold. Restaurant Décor Is Planned For A Reason You Might Not Guess Restaurant decor isn’t an accident, especially in chain restaurants keyed into behavioral and eating psychology. Restaurants are designed with the intention […]
Summer is over. Soon many of us will be stocking our kitchens with Halloween candy and then enough Thanksgiving food to feed hordes of Pilgrims. It might be time to take stock of what’s leftover from the lazy days of summer eating. Are there leftovers from your Labor Day barbecue, a random piece of birthday […]
Supermarkets have your shopping experience down to a science. They arrange and display their merchandise in ways that encourage you to buy both more products and the type or brand of product that they want to sell. Here are 9 ways they get you to put more items into your cart which ultimately means more items […]
It certainly can. Pure alcohol, gram for gram, has almost twice the number of calories as a gram of carbohydrate or protein. One gram of alcohol has 7 calories compared to the 4 calories for carbohydrate or protein – fat has nine calories a gram. Some research is showing that calories from alcohol may be […]
How did your team do this weekend? Did they win or lose? If you’re being careful about what and how much you eat, you better hope they won (for more reasons than one) or chances are you’ll be joining your fellow fans who will be rummaging around the kitchen or who have the pizza place […]
How many people do you usually sit with when you’re eating? Not all the people surrounding you in a cafeteria or restaurant, but the number of friends or family at your table? Amazingly, the number of people you eat with can make a big difference in how much you end up eating. If you have […]
If you’re full, stop eating and clear your plate right away. If it hangs around in front of you, you’ll keep picking at it until there’s nothing left. An exception – a study has found that looking at the “carnage” – the leftover bones on your plate from barbecued ribs or even the number of […]
Football season is here. It means fun and excitement along with angst, wringing of the hands, a whole new spin on vocabulary, and tons of food and drinks. It seems as though football has nine main food groups: beer, wings, pizza, chips and dip, barbecued ribs, burgers, chili, sausage (especially bratwurst), and pulled pork. It’s […]
A chocolate chip cookie—or oatmeal raisin for that matter—should be about the size of the rim of a soda can. Some cookies are four times that size—and with four times the calories and fat content! Don’t be duped by turkey, fish, and veggie burgers and sandwiches. They sound healthier and less caloric than beef, but […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- 10 Tips For Eating Well In A Restaurant March 7, 2014
- Leftovers: How Long Before You Have To Toss Them? March 3, 2014
- Here’s The Original Girl Scout Cookie Recipe (circa 1922) February 27, 2014
- Some Really Sensible and Easy To Follow Dietary Guidelines February 24, 2014
- Love Pie? Did You Know There’s A Huge Variation In Calories? February 16, 2014
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: I wish I could say the same for my cookies -- I en...
- Carolyn Adams: I enjoy your articles very much. Ironically I als...
- Valentine’s Day Tips! - New Homes Colorado Springs: […] to EatOutEatWell.com, there are about 1....
- 30 Easy And Doable Eat Out Resolutions To Try -- Pick One! - Eat Out, Eat Well: […] more ideas. Subscribe to EatOutEatWell...
- Taking A Break? Renting A Holiday Movie? Can You Name Some Famous Ones? - Eat Out, Eat Well: […] For more holiday trivia, eating tips, an...