Sports stadiums, amusement parks, state fairs and street fairs. What do you usually do at these places – other than watch games and have a blast on the rides? EAT, of course! Oh, the food! Oh the calories! So how can you be calorie aware when there are food vendors about every 20 feet hawking […]
You can put just about anything on ice cream — and most likely — someone, somewhere in the world has chosen some pretty random and unique toppings to put on their plain old vanilla or some other esoteric flavor. Toppings Can Add A Mountain Of Calories The problem is, of course, that the standard fare: […]
What says summer more than strolling down the street, ice cream cone in hand – trying to lick up every last melting drip before it hits the sidewalk? The cold deliciousness of ice cream, gelato, or sorbet is hard to beat. There are an astounding number of choices with varying degrees of fat, calorie, sugar, […]
It’s summertime. School’s out. You’re on vacation. Maybe you have a beach or lake house or maybe you’re just home – but so are the kids – all day long. Vacation and kids: most likely you’ve let down your eating guard. There’s food in the house that might not usually be there. It’s singing a […]
Are you a mayonnaise hater or a mayonnaise lover? Sometimes the mayonnaise haters love mayonnaise-based salads – so it’s either a “head thing,” being put off by the mouth feel of mayonnaise, or being turned off by the custardy baby food look of plain mayo. Mayonnaise, a thick and creamy emulsion of oil, egg yolk, […]
Ah! Warm weather! Picnics and barbecues! Awesome grilled food! Whoops! Picnics, barbecues, and grilling can create the perfect environment for the bacteria that already reside in food to rapidly multiply and become the cause of a foodborne illness. It’s really important to follow safe food handling rules when you’re cooking perishable foods like meat, poultry, […]
It’s hot outside. When you open your car door after it’s been sitting in the parking lot you’re hit with a blast of heat that seems hotter than an oven. The Temperature Rises Quickly Inside A Car The temperature rises quickly inside a closed car — even when it’s only moderately warm outside. A study […]
Before you grab some tasty morsel, ask yourself if you really want it. Are you hungry? Is it worth the calories? Odds are, the tempting display of food in front of you is visually seductive – and may smell great, too — but you’re reaching out to eat what’s in front of you for reasons […]
Are you worried about gaining weight over vacation or from eating too much at the weddings and parties you’re planning to attend? Have a plan — It could be your saving grace. Think about how you want to handle yourself in the face of family picnics, barbecues, fresh strawberry shortcake, and ice cream cones with […]
It’s summer. It’s hot. You’re thirsty. You want some shade and something cool – or maybe ice cold – to drink. Check Out The Calories A lot of those cool, refreshing drinks come with a hefty dose of calories. You might be surprised at the number of calories in a drink you’ve been having for […]
Tips to avoid the freshman 15
Available as an eBook on Amazon and coming soon to iBooks.
Why worry about every morsel you put into your mouth? Be happy knowing that you can choose great things to eat and drink wherever you are. Surviving the Freshman 15 – it’s easier than you think!
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- Do Holidays And Overeating Go Hand In Hand? November 21, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...