Do you know how many ounces of wine you pour into your wine glass? Bet you don’t! A standard serving of wine is 5 ounces (around 125 calories) and probably looks smaller than you think. Wine glasses generally have a much larger capacity — good for savoring the wine, but not good for pouring portion […]
Tag Archives | calories in wine
Is There Less Alcohol And Fewer Calories In a Serving Of Wine Than There Is In Beer Or A Standard Drink?
That’s not a trick question. A standard alcoholic drink (in the US) is a drink that contains the equivalent of 14.0 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol, or the amount usually found in: 12 ounces of beer 8 ounces of malt liquor 5 ounces of wine (not dessert wine or port) 1.5 ounces or a […]
Did you know that because alcohol doesn’t register as “food” in your GI tract or your brain, it doesn’t fill you up the way food does? But alcohol does have calories — 7 calories a gram – more than carbs and protein which clock in at 4 calories a gram (fat has 9). So, because […]
Are you indulging in celebratory cheer? Toasting to the New Year? Just a heads up: all of those drinks can really pack a caloric punch. So, just like drinking wisely (and of course, not driving), don’t forget to factor in all those calories. 16% Of Calories? The CDC released a report showing that adults in […]
Do you love a glass of wine (or two) with dinner – or maybe some champagne at Sunday brunch or at your friend’s wedding? What about that wonderful, sweet, thick dessert wine to polish off a fantastic meal? You may have your preferences – most of us do – but whether it’s red, white, dry, […]
Love your wine with dinner – or maybe that champagne at your friend’s wedding? What about that wonderful, sweet, thick dessert wine to polish off a fantastic meal? You may have your preference – most of us do – but whether it’s red, white, dry, sweet, or sparkling, it is really easy to overlook the […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...