It certainly can. Pure alcohol, gram for gram, has almost twice the number of calories as a gram of carbohydrate or protein. One gram of alcohol has 7 calories compared to the 4 calories for carbohydrate or protein – fat has nine calories a gram. Some research is showing that calories from alcohol may be […]
Tag Archives | calories
How did your team do this weekend? Did they win or lose? If you’re being careful about what and how much you eat, you better hope they won (for more reasons than one) or chances are you’ll be joining your fellow fans who will be rummaging around the kitchen or who have the pizza place […]
How many people do you usually sit with when you’re eating? Not all the people surrounding you in a cafeteria or restaurant, but the number of friends or family at your table? Amazingly, the number of people you eat with can make a big difference in how much you end up eating. If you have […]
If you’re full, stop eating and clear your plate right away. If it hangs around in front of you, you’ll keep picking at it until there’s nothing left. An exception – a study has found that looking at the “carnage” – the leftover bones on your plate from barbecued ribs or even the number of […]
Nuts are full of healthy fats and protein. They’re a great snack and can help tide you over until your next meal — but they’re also a high calorie food. Be careful of portions — a serving size of most nuts is one ounce. For a one ounce serving: 49 shelled pistachios, 162 calories 23 […]
Eating when you’re not hungry, or when you’re bored, angry, tired, procrastinating, or celebrating can push your calorie intake way up. The biggest problem is that we often don’t realize that we’re shoving food into our mouths – either because we’re distracted, we don’t want to know, or we just plain old don’t care. What […]
Sooner or later you will likely have your next sharing moment with a vending machine: You share your money and the machine shares its calories. Vending machines actually have a holy history. Around 215 BC the mathematician Hero invented a type of vending device that accepted bronze coins to dispense holy water. Vending eventually became […]
Before you grab some tasty morsel, ask yourself if you really want it. Are you hungry? Is it worth the calories? Odds are, the tempting display of food in front of you is visually seductive – and may smell great, too — but you’re reaching out to eat what’s in front of you for reasons […]
Are you worried about gaining weight over vacation or from eating too much at the weddings and parties you’re planning to attend? Have a plan — It could be your saving grace. Think about how you want to handle yourself in the face of family picnics, barbecues, fresh strawberry shortcake, and ice cream cones with […]
It’s summer. It’s hot. You’re thirsty. You want some shade and something cool – or maybe ice cold – to drink. Check Out The Calories A lot of those cool, refreshing drinks come with a hefty dose of calories. You might be surprised at the number of calories in a drink you’ve been having for […]
Tips to avoid the freshman 15
Available as an eBook on Amazon and coming soon to iBooks.
Why worry about every morsel you put into your mouth? Be happy knowing that you can choose great things to eat and drink wherever you are. Surviving the Freshman 15 – it’s easier than you think!
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- Do Holidays And Overeating Go Hand In Hand? November 21, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...