Do you skimp on putting food onto your plate thinking that it will keep your calorie count down? What happens? You eat the skimpy portion – decide you’re still hungry – and then go back, maybe two or three times, for more. And if you keep the serving dishes on the table right in front [...]
Tag Archives | calories
Eat more food. But make it the healthy kind. Think about adding vegetables, fruit, and some whole grains into your diet rather that focusing on what you shouldn’t eat and what you should take out. We’ve all had the kind of day when it seems that your stomach is a bottomless pit and you can’t [...]
Want to burn some extra calories? Try fitting in a couple of these activities in every day. A 150 pound person would burn around 100 calories by: Casually biking for 23 minutes Using the elliptical for 8 minutes Walking stairs for 11 minutes Doing yoga for 20 minutes Doing zumba for 11 minutes Doing pilates [...]
When the weather heats up, the coffee drinks cool down. Unfortunately, some of those delicious iced and frozen coffee drinks – whether they’re from a coffee shop or from a can — can really bump up your calories and fat grams. Keep in mind that you can always order plain old iced coffee or even [...]
Day #4: Lose Five Pounds In Five Days Don’t be side swiped by smoothies. They’re may have some fruit and vegetables, but far too frequently they’re loaded with sugar. Unless you have a protein boost added (a whey protein additive at Jamba Juice adds 45 calories and ten grams of protein) or your smoothie is [...]
Day #3 of The Lose Five Pounds in 5 Weeks Challenge: It’s springtime – and visions of milk shakes might be dancing in your head. A thick chocolate milkshake can have around 750 calories for a large (22 ounce) shake. A medium (22 ounce) Burger King strawberry shake has 630 calories with 15 grams of [...]
You have an early morning meeting. Sitting in front of you is a platter loaded with bagels, danish, and doughnuts just waiting to be eaten and washed down by copious amounts of coffee. If you didn’t have time to grab some and if all the platters aren’t picked clean, the remnants will surely end up [...]
Are you keeping a record – virtual, written, or in your noggin – of how may calories you’re eating? Even if you’re not (and some people find it very hard to do – actually loathe doing it) you probably take note of what you eat each day – at least most of what you eat. [...]
Are you having a bit of trouble getting your pants to close – or maybe it’s difficult to zip up your jacket? In part you can blame those mindless bites – those “shove it in your mouth without thinking about it” bites. Oh come on, most of us — at one time or another — [...]
Are your pants feeling a bit tight and you can’t figure out why? It’s those mindless bites that will get you. Each one of those “shove it in your mouth without thinking about it” bites is worth about 25 calories. Do the math. If you have four mindless bites a day above and beyond your [...]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
Halloween ♦ Thanksgiving ♦ Hanukkah ♦ Christmas Kwanzaa ♦ New Year’s ♦ Super Bowl ♦ Valentine’s Day
Available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader at Amazon.com
Do you want to sail through the holidays without gaining a pound – while still enjoying Halloween candy, Thanksgiving turkey stuffing, Christmas cookies, New Year’s eggnog and Buffalo wings at your Super Bowl party? Let my new book help you learn some strategies, tips, and tricks for how to do that.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Want To Avoid Seconds? Keep The Serving Dishes Off Of The Table May 25, 2013
- Eat More: Add In Healthy Food To “Crowd Out” The Less Healthy Food May 24, 2013
- 15 Pretty Easy Ways To Burn 100 Calories May 23, 2013
- Vending Machines: What Are Your Favorite Letter/Number Combinations? May 22, 2013
- Do Ballparks And Amusement Parks Mean Hotdogs, Peanuts, And Cotton Candy? May 21, 2013
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...
- Diane: I just found your site and enjoyed many articles. ...
- Olivia Green: I've never been a huge fan of these "lose weight...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Donna. I love stuffing, too -- I make min...