Come on, ‘fess up. What do you do? Do you just randomly grab candy out of trick or treat bags – or are you more selective? If your kids go trick or treating, when they get home do you dump everything in the bag on the table and go through it to hunt down your […]
Tag Archives | candy
Here are the calories in some popular Halloween candy in case you want to minimize the caloric damage (you didn’t read that wrong — candy has a big range of calories and fat grams): Brach’s Milk Maid Caramels: 4 pieces; 160 calories; 4.5 g fat Kit Kat: Twix Miniatures (3 pieces); 150 calories; […]
It’s candy corn time! Those little tri-colored triangles have celebrated over 130 birthdays and are still going strong. Here are 7 things you probably never knew about candy corn: 1. Candy corn was created in the 1880s by George Renninger of the Wunderlee Candy Company. It was quite popular among farmers who loved the corn […]
Halloween conjures up images of ghosts, ghouls, witches – and candy corn, tootsie rolls, snickers, and kit-kats. The Halloween costumes vary depending on what’s trendy – and the Halloween candy varies depending on what’s on sale, what you buy, what you like or dislike, and what makes it’s way into the house in trick or […]
If you do, you can start shedding your guilt because you’re certainly not alone. Let’s put it another way: Is it almost a foregone conclusion that there’s Halloween candy in your future? The candy assault on your senses is pretty hard to escape. It’s everywhere in glowing Technicolor on shelf after shelf in big box stores, […]
Have you noticed that a lot of renovated gas stations now have mini-marts or convenience stores with clean(er) bathrooms and coffee that comes regular or decaf but also dark velvet, hazelnut, and vanilla? Are Gas Stations The New Convenience Stores? Convenience stores sell about 80& of the gasoline purchased in the United States each year. […]
On a road trip? Stuck in an airport? Is a vending machine calling your name? You’ve decided you need a snack. Decision made: it’s going to be candy – and it’s going to be M&M’s. After all, M&M’s mean melt in your mouth, not in your hand – and who wants melted chocolate all over […]
Don’t you love those little nuggets of jelly bean sweetness that come in multitudes of colors and flavors and get stuck in your teeth? Their gummy insides probably stretch back centuries ago from the treat, Turkish Delight. Their outsides are just like the colored hard candy coating, developed in the late 17th century, for the […]
“Be Mine,” “Kiss me,” “Sweet Talk.” Sweethearts Conversation Hearts, the small heart-shaped pastel colored candy with the familiar sayings have been a Valentine’s Day treat since 1902. Their manufacturer, NECCO, the New England Confectionery Company, in business since 1847, produces more than 8 billion of the candy conversation hearts a year. In the 1860’s the […]
Here’s another way to think about Halloween candy — how much walking will it take to work off the calories in each piece? These are some of the calculations from walking.com: 1 Fun Size candy bar (Snickers, Milky Way, Butterfingers, etc. comes to 80 calories. You will need to walk 0.8 miles, 1.29 kilometers, or […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...