The earliest recorded celebration of the arrival of the new year dates back 4,000 years ago in ancient Babylon. The first new moon following the vernal equinox, or the day in the spring with an equal amount of sunlight and darkness, signaled the start of a new year. Today, New Year’s Day–the first day of […]
Tag Archives | celebrations
A Jack-o’-Lantern Legend The Jack-O’-Lantern comes from a legend that goes back hundreds of years in Irish history. As the story goes, a miserable old drunk named Stingy Jack, who liked to play tricks on his family, friends, and even the Devil, tricked the Devil into climbing up an apple tree. Stingy Jack then put […]
The other night I went to a talk and book signing by Lisa Oz (married to Dr. Oz), for her new book, US: Transforming Ourselves and the Relationships That Matter Most. During the course of the evening there was a lot of discussion about the healing power of energy. As a nurse I began to […]
Easter Eggs: The Confectionary Type They’re everywhere and at every price point. Some are piped with flowers and others are wrapped in foil. You find them in supermarkets, discount stores, and fancy candy stores. Easter is the second ranked holiday for candy purchases in the US (just behind Halloween) and solid, hollow, and filled chocolate […]
Peeps: the blazing yellow and hot pink marshmallow bunnies and chicks that were hatched over 50 years ago. They’re called PEEPS because the original candy was the yellow chick. Now they’re produced for many holidays – in seasonal colors and shapes, of course – and they continue to be the subject of lots of design […]
So many of us toast to the New Year with drink in hand – alcoholic or not. Here’s a quick primer so you can make some informed choices: A standard drink is 1.5 ounces of hard liquor, 5 ounces of wine, or 12 ounces of beer. Nutritionally: 12 ounces of beer has 153 calories and […]
It’s a time of celebration for both you and your pets. As the big week of celebrations approaches, here are some quick tips to keep your pet family members safe and healthy during the winter holidays. If the weather turns nasty and you need to use salt and de-icing materials, remember that they can get […]
Pound? Doesn’t it feel like at least seven pounds of weight gain, all of it blubber? A lot of us start indulging at Thanksgiving (some at Halloween) and don’t stop the free style calorie fest until those onerous New Year’s Resolutions. Then, because we feel guilty about indulgences, we swear we won’t touch another cookie […]
Chocolate bark at the receptionist’s desk. Candy canes at the dry cleaners. A rotating selection of Christmas cookies on just about everyone’s desk. Happy holiday food gifts from grateful clients. And that doesn’t include the fantastic spreads at holiday parties and family events! Send to Kindle
It’s the week leading up to Labor Day weekend. Not technically the end of summer, but it sure feels that way. I don’t know about you, but for me the thought process seems to be: “Oh heck, it’s the last week of summer, the holiday weekend is coming up, all of my family is going […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- What’s On Your Holiday Plate? 9 Easy Calorie Saving Tips December 12, 2013
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...