Eating when you’re not hungry, or when you’re bored, angry, tired, procrastinating, or celebrating can push your calorie intake way up. The biggest problem is that we often don’t realize that we’re shoving food into our mouths – either because we’re distracted, we don’t want to know, or we just plain old don’t care. What […]
Tag Archives | diet
Are you worried about gaining weight over vacation or from eating too much at the weddings and parties you’re planning to attend? Have a plan — It could be your saving grace. Think about how you want to handle yourself in the face of family picnics, barbecues, fresh strawberry shortcake, and ice cream cones with […]
It’s summer. It’s hot. You’re thirsty. You want some shade and something cool – or maybe ice cold – to drink. Check Out The Calories A lot of those cool, refreshing drinks come with a hefty dose of calories. You might be surprised at the number of calories in a drink you’ve been having for […]
Do you wolf your food down so quickly that it’s gone before you realize you’ve eaten it all – and you’re left still hungry and staring at an empty plate? Slow down when you eat! People who eat quickly eat more calories than they would if they ate a bit more slowly. People who eat […]
Have you had “a slice” recently? If you did, consider it one of the 46 slices that American men, women, and children eat, on average, in a year. We eat a lot of pizza: 94% of Americans eat pizza regularly Pizzerias represent 17% of all restaurants and pizza accounts for more than 10% of all […]
Eat more food. But make it the healthy kind. Think about adding vegetables, fruit, and some whole grains into your diet rather that focusing on what you shouldn’t eat and what you should take out. We’ve all had the kind of day when it seems that your stomach is a bottomless pit and you can’t […]
It’s awfully hard to gauge how much food you’re putting on your plate – and even harder to figure out how much food you’re popping into your mouth when you eat directly from a multi-serving bag of food – like a big bag of chips. Portion size is critical to managing your weight. One helpful […]
If you’re watching your weight, beef can be a good choice – just be aware of portion size and which are the least fatty cuts of meat. Here’s a mini cheat sheet: The USDA defines a lean cut of beef as a 3.5 oz serving (about 100 grams) that has less than: 10 grams total […]
Here are some easy ways to slim down your sandwich and still have it taste great. Substitute mustard for the mayo and save 100 calories. Leave off the slice of Swiss cheese for another 133 calories. Ditch the two slices of bacon for another 84 calories. Put your turkey, ham, or roast beef along with […]
Are you having a bit of trouble getting your pants to close – or maybe it’s difficult to zip up your jacket? In part you can blame those mindless bites – those “shove it in your mouth without thinking about it” bites. Oh come on, most of us — at one time or another — […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...