It’s awfully hard to gauge how much food you’re putting on your plate – and even harder to figure out how much food you’re popping into your mouth when you eat directly from a multi-serving bag of food – like a big bag of chips. Portion size is critical to managing your weight. One helpful [...]
Tag Archives | diet
If you’re watching your weight, beef can be a good choice – just be aware of portion size and which are the least fatty cuts of meat. Here’s a mini cheat sheet: The USDA defines a lean cut of beef as a 3.5 oz serving (about 100 grams) that has less than: 10 grams total [...]
Here are some easy ways to slim down your sandwich and still have it taste great. Substitute mustard for the mayo and save 100 calories. Leave off the slice of Swiss cheese for another 133 calories. Ditch the two slices of bacon for another 84 calories. Put your turkey, ham, or roast beef along with [...]
Are you having a bit of trouble getting your pants to close – or maybe it’s difficult to zip up your jacket? In part you can blame those mindless bites – those “shove it in your mouth without thinking about it” bites. Oh come on, most of us — at one time or another — [...]
Do the stars, moon, sun, and all of the planets need to be in alignment for you to start your diet? The word diet usually means deprivation and a way of life that’s not easy, comforting, or fun. So is there any wonder that there are tons of excuses and reasons to put off starting [...]
Do the stars, moon, sun, and all of the planets need to be in alignment for you to start your diet? Diet, not a word I usually use, generally implies deprivation and a way of life that is not easy, comforting, and fun. So no wonder there are tons of excuses and reasons not to [...]
Everyone loves a “side” with their sandwich. Here’s some approximate calories counts (portion sizes and contents always vary depending on who makes or serves them). Which would you choose? French fries (from frozen);10 pieces of 3½ to 4 inch deep fried strips: 249 calories; 13.38g fat; 29.27g carbs; 2.93g protein French fries, deep fried; one [...]
Are you afraid to eat out for fear of “blowing your diet” or because you think there aren’t good choices to be had? Are you tired of hearing that you shouldn’t go to restaurants if you want to control what you eat? Choices You can choose to eat out and eat well. You are responsible [...]
Chinese take-out can be a friend to your diet – or the devil in disguise. Commercial Chinese food – or what you usually get for take-out – can be extremely high in fat (a caloric nightmare) and very high in sodium (a water retention nightmare). And then there’s portion size: those little white boxes hold [...]
A for Awesome, because that’s how you’ll feel. Don’t you hate it: you’ve been so much attention to what you eat and your healthy eating habits are really getting grooved. You’re starting to feel and look great, but, oh boy, you have to go to something big. It could be a wedding, a dinner party, [...]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
Halloween ♦ Thanksgiving ♦ Hanukkah ♦ Christmas Kwanzaa ♦ New Year’s ♦ Super Bowl ♦ Valentine’s Day
Available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader at Amazon.com
Do you want to sail through the holidays without gaining a pound – while still enjoying Halloween candy, Thanksgiving turkey stuffing, Christmas cookies, New Year’s eggnog and Buffalo wings at your Super Bowl party? Let my new book help you learn some strategies, tips, and tricks for how to do that.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Vending Machines: What Are Your Favorite Letter/Number Combinations? May 22, 2013
- Do Ballparks And Amusement Parks Mean Hotdogs, Peanuts, And Cotton Candy? May 21, 2013
- What’s Your Favorite Movie Theater Food? May 20, 2013
- Brunch: Is It Lunch Or Breakfast – And Do you End Up Eating Both? May 19, 2013
- Is It Coffee, A Frappuccino, A Coolatta, Or Dessert? May 18, 2013
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...
- Diane: I just found your site and enjoyed many articles. ...
- Olivia Green: I've never been a huge fan of these "lose weight...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Donna. I love stuffing, too -- I make min...