Have you had a Big Mac in different parts of the country or even in different parts of the world? It tastes pretty much the same – which, in some ways, is rather comforting when you might be far from home. Fast food is cheap, quick, reproducible in any outlet, often tasty, and consistent. To […]
Tag Archives | fast food
What are the main colors used in McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, and most fast food restaurants – diners, included? Answer: Red and gold. Restaurant Décor Is Planned For A Reason You Might Not Guess Restaurant decor isn’t an accident, especially in chain restaurants keyed into behavioral and eating psychology. Restaurants are designed with the intention […]
“Let’s order pizza.” Have you heard those words recently? Have you had “a slice” recently? Take comfort that you fit the stats: American men, women, and children eat, on average 46 slices of pizza a year. 94% of Americans eat pizza regularly In the US, 61% prefer regular thin crust, 14% prefer deep-dish, and 11% […]
Would you like to save a few calories when you eat at fast food (or fast casual) restaurants? Here are some easy small changes you can make that don’t drastically change your meal (and they don’t include skipping dessert or having a cup of broth instead of a burger). Here are some suggestions: Pay very […]
It’s not stretch of hot white sand. It’s also not where you can come upon an oasis, shimmering in the heat, and find platters laden with fresh fruit like in old-time movies. Here’s what it is: the CDC defines a food desert as an area “that lack(s) access to affordable fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat […]
Planning a road trip? You know that you’re going to have to stop for a snack or a meal along the way. Do you leave your food choices to chance? I drive a lot. I have three long road trips coming up in the next month. I know that I’m going to stop for a […]
Happy Summer! Baseball season is in full swing and so are visits to amusement parks. What do you usually do at these places – other than watch the game, ride the roller coaster? EAT, of course! Oh, the food! Oh the calories! Hang on – this post is not about ignoring the good time food. […]
After sugar sweetened beverages, fast food is the most unhealthy food product marketed to children. Fast food companies speak to children early, often, and when parents aren’t looking. Fast food is aggressively marketed toward children as young as two. In 2009 the fast food industry spent more than $4.2 billion on TV advertising and other […]
The reasons why Americans are getting fat at an alarming rate might surprise you… An infographic courtesy of Healthy Meal Experts. Learn more about Healthy Meals Send to Kindle
The Boardwalk at Coney Island I spent most of Saturday at Coney Island. It was an absolutely beautiful day and I was there for a birthday party. What a fantastic idea. We all had lunch at a Peruvian chicken place. Chicken, rice and beans, plantains, and some French fries thrown in for good measure. The […]
Tips to avoid the freshman 15
Available as an eBook on Amazon and coming soon to iBooks.
Why worry about every morsel you put into your mouth? Be happy knowing that you can choose great things to eat and drink wherever you are. Surviving the Freshman 15 – it’s easier than you think!
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- Do Holidays And Overeating Go Hand In Hand? November 21, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...