The more you eat, the less flavor; the less you eat, the more flavor. ~ Chinese Proverb Send to Kindle
Tag Archives | food
The power is out all over town. Hurricane Irene has downed power lines up and down the East Coast and I’m sure many of you are wondering what to do with all that food in your fridge and freezer. From numerous past experiences I know that one of the challenges in the aftermath of a [...]
Everyone eats food. It’s a source of comfort, love, nourishment – and at times, pain, bribery, control, and reward. Many of us remember and associate the food we ate, where we ate it, and with whom with good – and bad – events. People can love food but be traumatized by it, too. Food can [...]
It’s not stretch of hot white sand. It’s also not where you can come upon an oasis, shimmering in the heat, and find platters laden with fresh fruit like in old-time movies. Here’s what it is: the CDC defines a food desert as an area “that lack(s) access to affordable fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat [...]
It’s hot outside. Open your car door and, whew, it feels like an oven. Pity those poor groceries sitting and baking in your trunk. Pity you and your family if you eat food that has spoiled because bacteria have multiplied like rabbits while heating up in your car. Perishable food can stay safely unrefrigerated only [...]
Happy Summer! Baseball season is in full swing and so are visits to amusement parks. What do you usually do at these places – other than watch the game, ride the roller coaster? EAT, of course! Oh, the food! Oh the calories! Hang on – this post is not about ignoring the good time food. [...]
What has happened to the iconic apple? According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), the apple is the produce item with the greatest amount of pesticide residue. EWG’s 2011 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce lists the Dirty Dozen, or the produce with the most pesticide residue (which they suggest buying organic), and the Clean [...]
The other night I went to a talk and book signing by Lisa Oz (married to Dr. Oz), for her new book, US: Transforming Ourselves and the Relationships That Matter Most. During the course of the evening there was a lot of discussion about the healing power of energy. As a nurse I began to [...]
After sugar sweetened beverages, fast food is the most unhealthy food product marketed to children. Fast food companies speak to children early, often, and when parents aren’t looking. Fast food is aggressively marketed toward children as young as two. In 2009 the fast food industry spent more than $4.2 billion on TV advertising and other [...]
A for Awesome, because that’s how you’ll feel. Don’t you hate it: you’ve been so much attention to what you eat and your healthy eating habits are really getting grooved. You’re starting to feel and look great, but, oh boy, you have to go to something big. It could be a wedding, a dinner party, [...]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
Halloween ♦ Thanksgiving ♦ Hanukkah ♦ Christmas Kwanzaa ♦ New Year’s ♦ Super Bowl ♦ Valentine’s Day
Available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader at Amazon.com
Do you want to sail through the holidays without gaining a pound – while still enjoying Halloween candy, Thanksgiving turkey stuffing, Christmas cookies, New Year’s eggnog and Buffalo wings at your Super Bowl party? Let my new book help you learn some strategies, tips, and tricks for how to do that.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- 15 Pretty Easy Ways To Burn 100 Calories May 23, 2013
- Vending Machines: What Are Your Favorite Letter/Number Combinations? May 22, 2013
- Do Ballparks And Amusement Parks Mean Hotdogs, Peanuts, And Cotton Candy? May 21, 2013
- What’s Your Favorite Movie Theater Food? May 20, 2013
- Brunch: Is It Lunch Or Breakfast – And Do you End Up Eating Both? May 19, 2013
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...
- Diane: I just found your site and enjoyed many articles. ...
- Olivia Green: I've never been a huge fan of these "lose weight...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Donna. I love stuffing, too -- I make min...