“I’ve got to have a donut—the kind with chocolate icing and sprinkles.” “I really, really want some crispy, salty French fries and a strawberry shake.” But, are you really hungry or is it your head that’s yapping at you? Your head can be very proficient at ringing the mindless eating bell. It’s often the culprit […]
Tag Archives | head hunger
Do You Look Both Ways? Didn’t your parents teach you to look both ways before you cross the street? The very act of looking and analyzing the situation before you step off the curb means that you are being mindful of your surroundings and aware of potential problems – like a car or bike speeding […]
Argument. Stress. Overwhelm. Fatigue. Cookies in the shopping cart. Candy bar from the gas station. Chips from the vending machine. Raiding the refrigerator for leftovers followed by ice cream. Sound familiar? You could be stuffed to the gills but all you can think about is getting that cookie, candy bar, chips, or leftovers and chowing […]
Gotta have the Christmas cookies, the candied yams, the stuffing with pecans, both pumpkin and pecan pies, the peanut brittle, eggnog, and whatever else your particular holiday, culture, and family traditions dictate. Really??? Ask yourself why. Are your groaning table and edible holiday delights really because of tradition – or, in part, an excuse to […]
Have you ever followed an argument with a friend – or maybe with your Mom – with a trip to the bakery or the closest candy store? You could already be stuffed to the gills. But, all you can think about is getting that cookie, or candy bar, or bag of pretzels and chowing down […]
Are You Really Hungry? It’s summertime and the living is easy. Picnics, barbecues, a sandwich at the beach are often the order of the day. And what about the ice cream cone, the beer with the burger, the peach pie, and the toasted almond from the Good Humor truck? Vacation often means sun, sand, and […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...