How many times a day do you think about food? How many times a day do you make a food choice? How do your environment and surroundings influence those decisions? People grossly underestimate how many daily food related decisions they make – not by a little but by an average of more than 221 decisions. […]
Tag Archives | mindful eating
Peppermint candy and holiday chocolates at the receptionist’s desk. Candy canes at the dry cleaners. A rotating selection of Christmas cookies on just about everyone’s desk. Happy holiday food gifts from grateful clients. Your neighbor’s specialty pie. And that doesn’t include the fantastic spreads at holiday parties and family events! It’s All So Tempting It‘s incredibly […]
What happens when you’re invited to a “command performance” party or event with a long cocktail hour followed by a fancy multi-course sit down meal? Or maybe you’re going to a gourmet holiday lunch at a friend’s house where there will be lots of hot mulled wine, her special entree, and fantastic cookies accompanying mousse […]
Memorial Day Weekend – the “unofficial” start of summer weekends. Hometown parades with floats and kids in baseball uniforms. Veterans handing out flags. The lazy, hazy days of summer with lots of soda and popcorn and beer. Also lots of barbecue and desserts – and lots of seemingly never ending caloric temptation — and bathing […]
Do You Look Both Ways? Didn’t your parents teach you to look both ways before you cross the street? The very act of looking and analyzing the situation before you step off the curb means that you are being mindful of your surroundings and aware of potential problems – like a car or bike speeding […]
Have you ever said, “No, I don’t care for any” to seconds or “No, thank you” to dessert – but your host or dinner companion just won’t give up? “You’ve gotta try it, it’s great, “ or “Oh, come on, just a little taste,” or “Have just a little more.” It goes on and on […]
Are your pants feeling a bit tight and you can’t figure out why? It’s those mindless bites that will get you. Each one of those “shove it in your mouth without thinking about it” bites is worth about 25 calories. Do the math. If you have four mindless bites a day above and beyond your […]
What’s your plan? That sounds clinical — but it doesn’t have to be. It could be your saving grace. Think about how you want to handle yourself in the face of food, family, eggnog, and pecan pie. Nothing is engraved in stone but if you have an idea about what you want to do and […]
As the holiday season goes into full swing, here’s some helpful tips: Fill your plate once, whether it’s from a buffet or just from the stove top. That’s it. No seconds – and double-decking isn’t such a great idea, either. Use the smallest plates, bowls, and glasses you can to help you feel full even […]
Morning meeting. Right in front of you: platter loaded with bagels, danish, and doughnuts parked next to giant coffee urns. A freebie breakfast and the beginning of a blood sugar roller coaster ride. No worries if you miss the morning carb fest – if all the platters aren’t picked clean the remnants will surely end […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...