Take a peek at your family and friends. Do the bulk of them seem to be overflowing their chairs? A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (N Engl J Med 2007;357:370-9) found that if you’re struggling with your weight, there is a good chance that your friends and family are, too. Using […]
Tag Archives | obesity
It starts with watching this video: 23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health? DocMikeEvans If you are receiving this post via email you might have to view it online. Click here. Send to Kindle
Since 2006, Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation have released an annual report on obesity. This year’s report, F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America’s Future 2011 (available as a PDF download), unveils some downright alarming statistics. Some Major Findings: Adult Obesity Rates and Trends (2008-2010) Adult obesity rates rose […]
That’s Right! Cheer for how much you will be helping your health by not sitting so much. Check out these stats and graphics courtesy of Medical Billing and Coding.org. Via: Medical Billing And Coding Send to Kindle
New York city, uptown #2 train, Saturday night. Not too crowded, most people are wearing their subway stares – avoiding eye contact, eyes glazed over, ipod earbuds in place, bodies rocking with the motion of the train. My trip isn’t long enough to pull out something to read, so I start to scan the ads […]
Take a good look around you – at your family and friends. Do the bulk of them seem to be overflowing their chairs? A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (N Engl J Med 2007;357:370-9) seems to indicate that if you’re struggling with your weight, there is a good chance that your […]
I’m a Mom, too, and I don’t know about you, but sometimes I feel as though I carry both the blame and responsibility for just about everything. Mom’s Role in Preventing Obesity Well, here’s one more thing. A recent online survey of 1,037 women, 18 and older, by HealthyWomen, an independent online health information source […]
A Prescription For Veggies? Yea for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the docs at three medical centers who are writing prescriptions for produce for families with weight problems. Families with low incomes get coupons for produce that they can redeem at local farmers’ markets. The value of a coupon is $1 per person per day. […]
Tips to avoid the freshman 15
Available as an eBook on Amazon and coming soon to iBooks.
Why worry about every morsel you put into your mouth? Be happy knowing that you can choose great things to eat and drink wherever you are. Surviving the Freshman 15 – it’s easier than you think!
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- Do Holidays And Overeating Go Hand In Hand? November 21, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...