Nuts are full of healthy fats and protein. They’re a great snack and can help tide you over until your next meal — but they’re also a high calorie food. Be careful of portions — a serving size of most nuts is one ounce. For a one ounce serving: 49 shelled pistachios, 162 calories 23 […]
Tag Archives | snacks
Sooner or later you’ll have your next sharing moment with a vending machine – you share your money and the machine shares its calories. Vending machines are everywhere – down the hall from your office or around the corner from your hotel room, in hospital waiting rooms, in train stations, and calling your name on […]
We chow down on a lot of snack food — a quarter of our calories come from them! Snacks account for more than 25% of Americans’ daily calorie intake; since the 1970s, snacks have accounted for around 580 calories a day — which basically turns them into “a full eating event,” or a fourth meal. […]
Whether it’s a fancy catered affair or pizza, wings, and cold cuts laid out on the kitchen and coffee tables on game day, why give yourself extra opportunities to shovel chips and dip or salami and cheese into your mouth all night long? You’re human, so stay out of hand-to-mouth range – and don’t stare […]
There are food courts and coffee shops around every bend and on every corner – and all of them seem to sell peppermint and gingerbread goodies that scream, “Holiday.” That can really test your willpower. A hot skim latte is a great snack – soothing, calorie controlled, with a nice amount of protein. A nice […]
Most of those waistline hugging, thigh bulging holiday calories don’t come from the “day of” huge holiday meals but from unrelenting nibbling over the holiday season. It’s way too easy to add on an extra 500 calories a day over and above your average daily calorie needs. An additional 500 calories a day translates into packing […]
Why can a day’s worth of snacks be considered a fourth meal? Because, according to research, snacking accounts for more than 25% of Americans’ calorie intake everyday. How Many Calories Do We Snack On A Day? Between 1977 and 2006 Americans averaged about 580 calories each day for their snacks — which basically turned those […]
Who hasn’t grabbed one of those small red boxes of raisins? They’re a great portable snack – or are they? Raisins are dried grapes. The good news is that raisins are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. They’re about 3.5% dietary fiber and 3% protein by weight. The bad news is that a […]
The Popsicle And Serendipity By accident, on a cold night in San Francisco in 1905, an 11 year old left a powdered soda drink on the porch with a stirring stick still in it. The next morning there was this amazing frozen sweet stuff on a stick. Years later, Frank W. Epperson, the lucky kid, […]
Do You Like Your Ice Cream Naked Or With Toppings? Sometimes there’s nothing better than an ice cream sundae. Sundaes can be made with just about anything and I freely admit that my favorite part is the stuff you put on top of ice cream, not the ice cream itself. So Many Choices You can […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...