Welcome to week #2 of the lose a pound a week challenge. This week’s tips focus on how to save calories when you eat out. Are you afraid to eat out for fear of “blowing your diet” or because you think there aren’t good choices to be had? Are you tired of hearing that you [...]
Tag Archives | vegetables
Do you remember being told, “Eat your fruit and vegetables?” I certainly was told that – and I said the same thing to my kids. I’ve been watching members of my own family – who cover almost a century in age range – happily eat their fruit and vegetables. Over the past few days I’ve [...]
Dietary data from the Mediterranean region show that people who follow a Mediterranean dietary pattern have the lowest recorded rates of chronic diseases and the highest adult life expectancy.
Some people just don’t like vegetables. Some people even refuse to try certain kinds – sometimes on principle. Although I believe that people should try things before they decide they don’t like them and, in general, I’m not in favor of sneaking stuff into food, I think there’s a big upside, for both kids and [...]
It’s awfully hard to gauge how much food you’re putting on your plate – and even more difficult to figure out how much you’re popping into your mouth when you eat directly from a multi-serving bag of food. Portion size is critical to managing your weight. One helpful idea is to use commonplace objects as [...]
Walk into your kitchen – and there they are — swarming around your ripening peaches or bananas. Don’t those eighth of an inch little red-eyed fruit flies (but really, can you get up front and personal to see their red eyes?) drive you nuts? Where, oh where, did they come from – and how did [...]
It’s the height of corn season and my local farmers’ market is bursting at the seams with fresh ears of corn. Farmer’s tables are piled high with ears emptied from mesh bags pulled off their trucks. Corn, fresh from the farm. Awesome! The tables are surrounded by people peeling down the husks and then tossing [...]
I have lots of tomatoes on my tomato plants: large ones, small ones, cranberry greenish heirlooms, and canary yellow ones. The voracious woodchucks and chipmunks (I watched a little Alvin wrestle a tomato off a plant on my deck, roll it across to the stairs, and then snag it in his mouth like a toddler carrying [...]
What has happened to the iconic apple? According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), the apple is the produce item with the greatest amount of pesticide residue. EWG’s 2011 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce lists the Dirty Dozen, or the produce with the most pesticide residue (which they suggest buying organic), and the Clean [...]
Good-bye pyramid, hello plate. The word is that the government’s food pyramid is going to be ditched for a plate shaped system that uses wedges for the basic food groups and a half a plate for fruit and vegetables. Despite all of the information about why we should eat more fruit and vegetables, according to [...]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
Halloween ♦ Thanksgiving ♦ Hanukkah ♦ Christmas Kwanzaa ♦ New Year’s ♦ Super Bowl ♦ Valentine’s Day
Available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader at Amazon.com
Do you want to sail through the holidays without gaining a pound – while still enjoying Halloween candy, Thanksgiving turkey stuffing, Christmas cookies, New Year’s eggnog and Buffalo wings at your Super Bowl party? Let my new book help you learn some strategies, tips, and tricks for how to do that.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Want To Avoid Seconds? Keep The Serving Dishes Off Of The Table May 25, 2013
- Eat More: Add In Healthy Food To “Crowd Out” The Less Healthy Food May 24, 2013
- 15 Pretty Easy Ways To Burn 100 Calories May 23, 2013
- Vending Machines: What Are Your Favorite Letter/Number Combinations? May 22, 2013
- Do Ballparks And Amusement Parks Mean Hotdogs, Peanuts, And Cotton Candy? May 21, 2013
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...
- Diane: I just found your site and enjoyed many articles. ...
- Olivia Green: I've never been a huge fan of these "lose weight...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Donna. I love stuffing, too -- I make min...