Sugar is sweet but it’s also sneaky, masquerading under many different names. Read one of those jam labels that says, “All Fruit” or “Spreadable Fruit” on the front. Then turn the jar over and read ingredients. Most likely you’ll find juice concentrates (often as the first ingredient) and maltodextrin — both forms of sugar. How […]
Tag Archives | discretionary calories
Are your pants feeling a bit tight and you can’t figure out why? It’s those mindless bites that will get you. Each one of those “shove it in your mouth without thinking about it” bites is worth about 25 calories. Do the math. If you have four mindless bites a day above and beyond your […]
The American Heart Association recommends that not more than half of your daily discretionary calorie allowance come from added sugars. What’s Daily Discretionary Calorie Allowance? Daily discretionary calorie allowance means the number of calories you have left to use after you meet your nutrient needs without exceeding your energy needs. In other words, they are […]
Tips to avoid the freshman 15
Available as an eBook on Amazon and coming soon to iBooks.
Why worry about every morsel you put into your mouth? Be happy knowing that you can choose great things to eat and drink wherever you are. Surviving the Freshman 15 – it’s easier than you think!
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- Do Holidays And Overeating Go Hand In Hand? November 21, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...