Food labels can be pretty confusing. For instance, you might think that you know what fat free means – but if a food product is labeled “fat free” does mean that it’s totally fat free? Not necessarily. According to the FDA, a food can be labeled fat free if it contains less than 0.5 grams […]
Tag Archives | food labels
How much time do you spend in the supermarket aisle confused by the labels on mayo — or cookies — or just about every other item in the packaged bread aisle? What do reduced fat, low fat, light, fat free, or low in calories actually mean? You practically have to walk around with a cheat […]
I was recently helping a client learn how to interpret nutrition and ingredients labels of food products. He clearly wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of spending the extra time to read labels. It does take time. But, you don’t have to do it for everything. It’s particularly important to get a feeling for products that […]
You might be used to looking for expiration dates on dairy produces, eggs, and meat. But it seems like just about everything in the supermarket is now stamped with some kind of date. I tend not to like food that wiggles but others in my family get their own selection of Technicolor wiggle food, so […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Holiday Eating Worries? If You’re Going To Indulge, Make It Special December 9, 2013
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...