Did you roast an 18 pound turkey? Maybe you roasted two smaller ones so you could have four drumsticks. Inevitably, most of us will have a whole lot of leftover turkey. What do you do with all of that leftover bird? Is it alright to eat it after it’s been sitting out from the time […]
Tag Archives | food safety
Ah! Warm weather! Picnics and barbecues! Awesome grilled food! Whoops! Picnics, barbecues, and grilling can create the perfect environment for the bacteria that already reside in food to rapidly multiply and become the cause of a foodborne illness. It’s really important to follow safe food handling rules when you’re cooking perishable foods like meat, poultry, […]
It’s hot outside. When you open your car door after it’s been sitting in the parking lot you’re hit with a blast of heat that seems hotter than an oven. The Temperature Rises Quickly Inside A Car The temperature rises quickly inside a closed car — even when it’s only moderately warm outside. A study […]
Turkey, the centerpiece of most Thanksgiving meals, is a low in fat and high in protein nutritonal star. A 3 and 1/2 ounce serving is about the size and thickness of a new deck of cards. The fat and calorie content varies because white meat has less fat and fewer calories than the dark meat […]
Your power is out. What should you do with all that food in your fridge and freezer? The Basic Rules For Leftovers According to the March 2010 edition of the Nutrition Action Healthletter (Center for Science in the Public Interest), you should follow these general rules: The mantra is: 2 Hours–2 Inches–4 Days 2 Hours […]
It’s hot outside. When you open your car door after it’s been sitting in the parking lot you’re hit with a blast of heat that seems hotter than an oven . The Temperature Rises Quickly Inside A Car The temperature rises quickly inside a closed car — even when it’s only moderately warm outside. A […]
The power is out all over town. Hurricane Irene has downed power lines up and down the East Coast and I’m sure many of you are wondering what to do with all that food in your fridge and freezer. From numerous past experiences I know that one of the challenges in the aftermath of a […]
It’s hot outside. Open your car door and, whew, it feels like an oven. Pity those poor groceries sitting and baking in your trunk. Pity you and your family if you eat food that has spoiled because bacteria have multiplied like rabbits while heating up in your car. Perishable food can stay safely unrefrigerated only […]
How Do Turkeys Cross The Road? Where I live, I often have to stop my car and wait for the wild turkeys to cross the road. I’m not kidding. They start climbing over a stone wall from a wooded area one after another. Gorgeous, they’re not. And they don’t cross in a timely fashion, either. […]
Also the three second, eight second, and you name the number rule. No kidding. So why is it a bunch of baloney that when you drop a slice of bologna on the floor as you are making a sandwich for lunch, even if you reclaim it right away — certainly in three or five seconds, […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- Do Holidays And Overeating Go Hand In Hand? November 21, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...