When should I eat? That’s the age-old question that many of us ask ourselves most days of the week! What would you say: “when I’m hungry” or maybe “when I want to”? It’s not always an easy question to answer even though it seems like it should be intuitive. It can be, if you learn […]
Tag Archives | hunger
Argument. Stress. Overwhelm. Fatigue. Cookies in the shopping cart. Candy bar from the gas station. Chips from the vending machine. Raiding the refrigerator for leftovers followed by ice cream. Sound familiar? You could be stuffed to the gills but all you can think about is getting that cookie, candy bar, chips, or leftovers and chowing […]
Seriously. Hand to mouth munching on chips, dips, and wings. A swig or two or three. A cookie here and there. And then there’s the “real food” at halftime – or maybe there was pizza first followed by a selection of subs. By the end of the game do you have a clue about how […]
Eating when you’re not hungry, or when you’re bored, angry, tired, procrastinating, or celebrating can push your calorie intake way up. The biggest problem is that we often don’t realize that we’re shoving food into our mouths – either because we’re distracted, we don’t want to know, or we just plain old don’t care. Here […]
Hunger is a basic survival mechanism. It’s what signals our brains that our bodies need nourishment and energy — and it drives us to eat for fuel. We’re born with this ability – think about babies and how they cry when they need food – and how they stop eating when they’re full. Those of […]
Physical – or real – hunger, the kind you feel when your stomach is growling, you’re irritable as all get-out, you’ve got zilch energy, and probably a throbbing headache, means you body needs food for fuel. Info You Can Use About Hunger Hunger is somewhat unpredictable. Your actual hunger levels are not the same every […]
Have you ever followed an argument with a friend – or maybe with your Mom – with a trip to the bakery or the closest candy store? You could already be stuffed to the gills. But, all you can think about is getting that cookie, or candy bar, or bag of pretzels and chowing down […]
Look Both Ways Don’t you look both ways before you cross the street — or shouldn’t you? That’s called being mindful of your surroundings and potential problems – like a car or bike speeding toward you. Check In With Yourself The same thing is true with eating: check in with yourself and ask if you’re […]
Are You Really Hungry? It’s summertime and the living is easy. Picnics, barbecues, a sandwich at the beach are often the order of the day. And what about the ice cream cone, the beer with the burger, the peach pie, and the toasted almond from the Good Humor truck? Vacation often means sun, sand, and […]
You’ve been eating all day. Eating everything – a bagel for breakfast, a chesse Danish for a midmorning snack, lunch with some friends. This is followed by a latte in the afternoon – and why not a cute cupcake to go with – or perhaps it’s a workday and you amble down to the hall […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...