There are five different kinds of cooking spray in my kitchen cabinet: Butter flavor, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Baking, and Professional for high heat cooking. All say they are for non-stick cooking or baking. Some say they are for fat-free cooking and baking. The nutrition labels for all five call a serving size a spritz [...]
Tag Archives | ingredients label
Even though “organic” refers to a method of production rather than nutritional content, an “organic” label can make you believe that food is healthier and tastier. A Cornell University study was designed to test what’s called the “halo effect,” or the theory that people are influenced by how something is described. The Study The [...]
Do you have a clue what the difference is between reduced fat, low fat, light, and fat free. You practically have to walk around with a cheat sheet — or an app — to figure out if something actually lives up to the promise on the product’s label. The same thing is true on menus, [...]
I was recently helping a client learn how to interpret nutrition and ingredients labels of food products. He clearly wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of spending the extra time to read labels. It does take time. But, you don’t have to do it for everything. It’s particularly important to get a feeling for products that [...]
Trying to interpret the carbohydrates on nutrition facts labels can be downright confusing. There’s a number for total carbohydrates but then there are subheadings for dietary fiber, sugars, and sometimes insoluble fiber, sugar alcohols, and other carbohydrates. What Does Everything Mean? Total Carbohydrate, shown in grams, is first. It gives you the total number of [...]
The season of sugar plum fairies, ribbon candy, and sparkly cookies (and even fruit cake) is upon us. For about the past ten years we’ve been warned about watching how much sugar we’re eating and we still haven’t really listened. According to the American Heart Association’s nutrition committee, Americans average 475 calories from added sugars [...]
I had a Portobello mushroom burger the other day. The burger was a whole Portobello cap – not ground up stuff that always leaves me wondering what exactly is making up the brown burger shaped thing that I’m eating. Don’t get me wrong – I like veggie burgers – I just don’t like unidentified mixtures [...]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
Halloween ♦ Thanksgiving ♦ Hanukkah ♦ Christmas Kwanzaa ♦ New Year’s ♦ Super Bowl ♦ Valentine’s Day
Available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader at Amazon.com
Do you want to sail through the holidays without gaining a pound – while still enjoying Halloween candy, Thanksgiving turkey stuffing, Christmas cookies, New Year’s eggnog and Buffalo wings at your Super Bowl party? Let my new book help you learn some strategies, tips, and tricks for how to do that.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Are You Gearing Up For A Holiday Food Fest? April 3, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- Is It Coffee, A Frappuccino, A Coolatta, Or Dessert? May 18, 2013
- Are Your Snacks The Equivalent Of Another Meal? May 17, 2013
- How Many Calories Do You Drink? May 16, 2013
- It’s Really True: Shopping When You’re Hungry Means More Calories In Your Cart May 15, 2013
- Can You Save Calories Eating A Ham And Cheese Sandwich Instead Of A Salad? May 14, 2013
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...
- Diane: I just found your site and enjoyed many articles. ...
- Olivia Green: I've never been a huge fan of these "lose weight...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Donna. I love stuffing, too -- I make min...