Do you have trouble keeping the calories in check at a brunch or a buffet? It’s pretty darn hard with all of that tempting food staring you in the face. It’s even harder when there’s both tempting food and you’re with lots of friends having a good time — a classic recipe for mindless (over)eating. […]
Tag Archives | mindless eating
“I’ve got to have a donut—the kind with chocolate icing and sprinkles.” “I really, really want some crispy, salty French fries and a strawberry shake.” But, are you really hungry or is it your head that’s yapping at you? Your head can be very proficient at ringing the mindless eating bell. It’s often the culprit […]
Did you know that the first Super Bowl was in January 1967? Although not an official holiday, Super Bowl Sunday certainly has assumed the trappings of one — both in the US and in many expat communities. The Super Bowl broadcast is the most watched annual television program in the US and Super Bowl Sunday […]
Peppermint candy and holiday chocolates at the receptionist’s desk. Candy canes at the dry cleaners. A rotating selection of Christmas cookies on just about everyone’s desk. Happy holiday food gifts from grateful clients. Your neighbor’s specialty pie. And that doesn’t include the fantastic spreads at holiday parties and family events! It’s All So Tempting It‘s incredibly […]
Are your pants feeling a bit tight and you can’t figure out why? It’s those mindless bites that will get you. Each one of those “shove it in your mouth without thinking about it” bites is worth about 25 calories. Do the math. If you have four mindless bites a day above and beyond your […]
It’s way too easy to forget those little clumps of calories that “jump” into your mouth and ultimately register on the scale. These Calories Still Count . . . the candy bar you bought at the gas station and ate in the car the 3 tootsie rolls you snagged from the receptionist’s desk the couple […]
Planning on eating with seven friends? You might eat 96% more! No joke. We tend to eat more and for a longer period of time when we’re with other people compared to when we eat alone. Why? Perhaps it’s because we mindlessly nibble while someone else talks. Or maybe it stems from the good manners learned […]
Memorial Day Weekend – the “unofficial” start of summer weekends. Hometown parades with floats and kids in baseball uniforms. Veterans handing out flags. The lazy, hazy days of summer with lots of soda and popcorn and beer. Also lots of barbecue and desserts – and lots of seemingly never ending caloric temptation — and bathing […]
Do You Work Or Watch TV While You’re Eating? Where do you have your breakfast? In the car or train while you’re going to work? Maybe while you’re walking down the street juggling that plastic topped paper cup of coffee, a muffin, your books and papers, your open jacket flapping in the breeze. Where do […]
Seriously. Hand to mouth munching on chips, dips, and wings. A swig or two or three. A cookie here and there. And then there’s the “real food” at halftime – or maybe there was pizza first followed by a selection of subs. By the end of the game do you have a clue about how […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...