Do you know how many ounces of wine you pour into your wine glass? Bet you don’t! A standard serving of wine is 5 ounces (around 125 calories) and probably looks smaller than you think. Wine glasses generally have a much larger capacity — good for savoring the wine, but not good for pouring portion […]
Tag Archives | wine
Is There Less Alcohol And Fewer Calories In a Serving Of Wine Than There Is In Beer Or A Standard Drink?
That’s not a trick question. A standard alcoholic drink (in the US) is a drink that contains the equivalent of 14.0 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol, or the amount usually found in: 12 ounces of beer 8 ounces of malt liquor 5 ounces of wine (not dessert wine or port) 1.5 ounces or a […]
It’s summer. It’s hot. You’re thirsty. You want some shade and something cool – or maybe ice cold – to drink. Check Out The Calories A lot of those cool, refreshing drinks come with a hefty dose of calories. You might be surprised at the number of calories in a drink you’ve been having for […]
Do you love a glass of wine (or two) with dinner – or maybe some champagne at Sunday brunch or at your friend’s wedding? What about that wonderful, sweet, thick dessert wine to polish off a fantastic meal? You may have your preferences – most of us do – but whether it’s red, white, dry, […]
You may really look forward to happy hour or that before dinner drink. Time to relax and enjoy the company of friends or family. Not necessarily a bad thing. Unfortunately, it’s way too easy to underestimate or forget about the calories lurking in that glass. Calories You Drink Don’t Fill You Up When you drink […]
Walk into your kitchen – and there they are — swarming around your ripening peaches or bananas. Don’t those eighth of an inch little red-eyed fruit flies (but really, can you get up front and personal to see their red eyes?) drive you nuts? Where, oh where, did they come from – and how did […]
Do you love wine with dinner – or maybe a glass of champagne at your friend’s wedding? What about that wonderful, sweet, thick dessert wine to polish off a fantastic meal? You may have your preference – most of us do – but whether it’s red, white, dry, sweet, or sparkling, it is really easy […]
Lazy, Hazy Days Of Summer It’s summer. It’s hot. You’re thirsty. You want some shade and something cool – or maybe ice cold – to drink. Just remember – a lot of those cool, refreshing drinks come with a hefty dose of calories. Check Out The Calories You might be surprised at the caloric content […]
Love your wine with dinner – or maybe that champagne at your friend’s wedding? What about that wonderful, sweet, thick dessert wine to polish off a fantastic meal? You may have your preference – most of us do – but whether it’s red, white, dry, sweet, or sparkling, it is really easy to overlook the […]
Penny Manegan Klatell, PhD, RN
Penny is a doctoral level nurse; a health, life, and wellness coach; and a Mom. She’s also a nutritional counselor, food lover, former college professor, author, blogger, speaker, and a very frequent restaurant visitor. She’s from a Greek restaurant family where she learned to cook and discovered the need to speak loudly to be heard above the din. She writes about delicious, healthy food and how to eat well anytime, anywhere, and at any age.
- How Juicy, Delicious Watermelon Can Help You Lose Weight August 1, 2012
- Chocolate Eggs And Bunny Ears April 6, 2012
- How You Eat Your Oreo Says Something About You April 12, 2011
- What About The Groceries In Your Hot Car? July 25, 2012
- Is Sea Salt Healthier Than Table Salt? April 20, 2012
- A Holiday Gift December 7, 2013
- Your Holiday Eating Cheat Sheet December 5, 2013
- 12 Ways To Decrease Calories In Your Favorite Holiday Baked Goods – And They’ll Still Taste Great! December 3, 2013
- Leftover Turkey? How Long Can You Keep It? November 27, 2013
- How Many Calories Are In Typical Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Foods? November 25, 2013
- barbara schwarz: I've been sending you lots of emails. Have you r...
- Mary: I always eat my oreos in feverish little nibbles...
- The Oreo Cookie Rookie :) | Play & Inspire: [...] way that you eat an Oreo says something abo...
- Penny Klatell, PhD, RN: Thanks, Doreen. It's nice to hear from you and I...
- Doreen: I do appreciate your advice. Summer is so tempting...